Basic Information Edit
At a Cooking Station you can cook up to 36 various types of Food from only 4 cooking recipes.
Depending on the ingredients that you will insert in the slots of the Cooking Station, up to 36 different kinds of Food will turn out.
There are only 4 cooking recipes that can be unlocked in the Cooking Station:
- the one recipe for all types of Soup (unlocked by obtaining a Cooking Station),
- the one recipe for all types of Bread (unlocked by obtaining Wheat ears),
- the one recipe for all types of Sandwiches (unlocked by obtaining basic (!) Bread), and
- the one recipe for all types of Pie (unlocked by obtaining basic (!) Soup)
No special cooking recipes have to be unlocked or found in order to cook special types of Food like Tar Bread, Bog Broth, Frigid Sandwich, Egg Drop Soup, Corrupted Pie or Jerky Sandwich just to name a few examples - all of these and more can be created with just the existent 4 cooking recipes.
Consuming Food Edit
All types of Food (not all of their raw cooking ingredients though) can be consumed by your player character and will then grant you various buffs (positive effects) over time depending on the Food - usually for 15 minutes (Soups, Sandwiches, Pies), however only 7:30 minutes for all kinds of easy-to-cook Breads.
Some Crops like Horned Melons can be consumed for effects by player characters just as they are (not recommended because of their weak buffs) and can be fed raw to some Pets even as their favorite Food sometimes, just like Mushrooms.
Player characters can have several active buffs at the same time. However, if they consume the same Foodstuff twice while the effect is still active, the effect will merely prolonged to the maximum amount of time once again.
Please note that some types of Food provide twice as much bonus points to the maximum Stamina than their tooltips state for "Pro" players, except for Melon Sandwich, which in return provides half the max. Stamina than its tooltip claims for free players.
How to obtain Edit
Some Foodstuff can be obtained from Ghost Loot bags, Haunted Ghost Treasure reward chests for successfully completed Idol Events, Holiday Gifts that spawn during the Christmas Holiday event, Holiday Loot Bags dropped by Trog Trap Event Creatures and/or Reward Holiday Gift Boxes for successfully completed Trog Trap Events.
- Ghost Loot bags can contain 1-2 already cooked Corrupted Soups, Corrupted Breads or Corrupted Sandwiches,
- Haunted Ghost Treasure reward chests can also contain 1-2 already cooked Corrupted Soups, Corrupted Breads or Corrupted Sandwiches,
- Holiday Gifts can contain 2 or more rarely 4 already cooked Gingerbread Loaves and rather often 1-2 units of Molasses,
- Holiday Loot Bags can contain 1-2 already cooked Gingerbread Loaves, Frigid Pies, Frigid Sandwiches and/or Frigid Soups. Occasionally, these bags will also contain Questionable Jerky and/or Blizzard Chizzard Eggs,
- Reward Holiday Gift Boxes can also contain 1-2 already cooked Gingerbread Loaves, Frigid Pies, Frigid Sandwiches and/or Frigid Soups, as well as occasionally Questionable Jerky and/or Blizzard Chizzard Eggs.
Since Food can only be placed into display containers but not into the game world as is, it cannot be bought via building kits for Blueprints, since items in display containers of Blueprints are merely "ghost images", not actual items that you could take out and use.
Feeding Pets Edit
Food can also be fed to Pets, so you can then harvest from your Pets.
Pets are immortal and can survive without being fed. They just cannot be harvested from as long as they are hungry. Please note that Pets will give inferior harvest if they did not eat their exact favorite type of Food. For example: if you feed an ordinary Sandwich to a Pet that prefers Jerky Sandwich, then this Pet will not provide you with its best possible harvest after digesting the Food.
Check the Pet window of your Pets to learn about their favorites (point your cursor at a Pet after taming it, then click the right mouse button or press "f" as the default key).
To feed a Pet, move a (stack of) Food from your inventory or quickbar over the Pet window, or use right-click on the Food when the Pet window is open.
Eggs - a rather important ingredient for Food, especially for all types of Pie - can only be obtained as a pet-harvest from Chizzard-Pets, Night Chizzard Pets (common Chizzard Eggs) and Blizzard Chizzard Pets (special frigid Blizzard Chizzard Eggs). Eggs cannot be obtained by killing these Chizzard types, nor when they die from "natural" causes like drowning.
Cooking Stations can be crafted after unlocking their free crafting recipe in the crafting menu by
- obtaining Water - you can scoop it from rivers, lakes or Oceans, no Power Cell is required for this;
- Obsidian (Bars) - create Obsidian Bars from Obsidian Ore in a Forge together with some Fuel. This common Ore can be extracted from Obsidian Nodes in shallow Caves leading down into the Fossil layer or in the Mountains. Obsidian Ore can also be obtained in significant amounts from Iron Treasure Chests that randomly spawn on Lava layer blocks in darkness and from Diamond Treasure Chests that randomly spawn on Corrupted Blocks in dark areas
- harvesting Wheat that has to be grown from Wheat Seeds on tilled soil directly adjacent to Water or other suitable liquids. Collect the required Wheat Seeds by harvesting/pulling Tallgrass and/or Savannah Tallgrass,
- and crafting a Plow, which requires to collect Wheat Seeds, smelt Obsidian (Bars) and to craft or obtain a Stone Mining Cell. You'll need Obsidian, Stone blocks and Stone Rods to then actually craft a Plow
To craft one Cooking Station in your Crafting Menu, you'll need:
- 1 piece of Coal, extracted from Coal Nodes in Mountains or the Fossil layer, or found in Treasure Chests that randomly spawn in darkness
- 4 Stone Rods made of Stone, Limestone or Bedrock in a Processor, which does not require any crafting recipe to be unlocked
- 2 Obsidian (Bars) made in a Forge from Obsidian Ore
- 2 Stone Slabs made of Stone, Limestone or Bedrock in a Processor
All Food-types currently require at least one type of Crops.
3 types of Crops occasionally spawn on the ground of certain Biomes one after another over time; Horned Melons (only in Jungle biomes), Turnips (Swamplands, Forests, Woodlands, etc.) and Crisphead Lettuce (Forests, Woodlands, Grasslands, Mountains, rarely Tundras etc.). The longer you play, the more of these Crops will appear in the game world.
Instead of cooking these Crops that you can find right away, it's recommended to process the Crops into Seeds in a Processor, then to plant these Seeds (use a Plow to till Dirt or Grass next to Water) and such "multiply" them. Since you can harvest many more Crops that way, you can use some of them to cook Food, and you can use the rest to process Seeds and grow even more Crops.
Wheat on the other hand can only be grown from Wheat Seeds though. These Seeds can be obtained as a random extra harvest when plucking Tallgrass and/or Savannah Tallgrass. You can simply place one patch of Tallgrass/Savannah Tallgrass, pick it up, then place it again and repeat this in order to collect an infinite amount of Wheat Seeds.
How to unlock cooking recipes Edit
Depending on the ingredients that you will insert in the slots of the Cooking Station, up to 36 different kinds of Food will turn out.
You do not have to search for any rare Recipes in order to create special kinds of Food. Even Gingerbread Loaf can be cooked using the common recipe for Bread without a specific Christmas-related cooking recipe.
- the recipe for all kinds of Soup will be in the Cooking Station from the start as soon as you have crafted, placed and activated the Cooking Station
- upon taking Wheat made from Wheat Seeds that you can find in Tallgrass and Savannah Tallgrass, the recipe for all kinds of Bread will automatically be unlocked. Since you will need Wheat ears now to unlock the crafting recipe for the Cooking Station in the first place, so when crafting this crafting station, the recipe for Breads will also be unlocked right away when accessing the Cooking Station for the first time
- by cooking and taking ordinary Soup (using only Water and Vegetables, none of the special broths!), the crafting-recipe for all kinds of Pie will be unlocked
- by cooking and then taking ordinary Bread (only made from Water and Wheat, none of the special Bread types!), the cooking recipe for all kinds of Sandwiches will be unlocked
Two quests from QB require cooking.
1. Fresh Baked BreadEdit
- Badge: Homesteader
- Unlocked by: completing the quest "Dirt-y Jobs"
- craft a Cooking Station in your crafting menu from
- obtain or cook/bake at least one loaf of common Bread by choosing the recipe for all types of Bread in your Cooking Station and then inserting Wheat and common blue Water (or Molasses) into the slots of the Cooking Station. Any other ingredients will produce different types of Bread
- then obtain or cook/bake at least one loaf of Bog Bread by choosing the recipe for all types of Bread in your Cooking Station and then inserting Wheat and Bog Water from Swamplands that can be scooped up with a Diamond Mining Cell or better (Lumite Mining Cell) equipped
- at last obtain or cook/bake at least one loaf of Wholesome Bread by choosing the recipe for all types of Bread in your Cooking Station and then inserting Wheat and Mineral Water from Canyons or the Stalactite layer or made by purifying Corrupted Water that can also be scooped up with a Diamond Mining Cell or better equipped
- Rewards: 20 more loaves of Bread, 20 more loaves of Bog Bread and 20 more loaves of Wholesome Bread
- Unlocks: quest "No Soup For You"
2. No Soup For YouEdit
- Badge: Homesteader
- Unlocked by: completing the quest "Fresh Baked Bread"
- obtain (any type of) Soup like by choosing the recipe for all types of Soup in your Cooking Station and then inserting 2 units of any liquid together with 4 Vegetables (either Crisphead Lettuce or Turnips) and 3 more ingredients like Turnips, Lettuce, Horned Melons, Mushrooms, Chizzard Eggs, Blizzard Chizzard Eggs or Questionable Jerky. Corrupted Soup made from Corrupted Water is very helpful for explorations and hunts on the Corruption layer
- obtain (any type of) Sandwich like by choosing the recipe for all types of Sandwiches in your Cooking Station and then inserting any type of Bread that you have cooked/baked together with 3 Vegetables (either Turnips or Crisphead Lettuce and 3 more ingredients; either Turnips, Lettuce, Horned Melons, Mushrooms, Chizzard Eggs, Blizzard Chizzard Eggs or Questionable Jerky.
- Rewards: 20x Tar Soup (very good Fuel), 20x Blazing Sandwiches, 20x Turnip Sandwiches (with a curative effect)
- Unlocks: Homesteading Badge that permanently reduces cold damage
How to cook Soups, Breads, Sandwiches and Pies Edit
First choose one of the 4 basic recipes, then right-click on the ingredients in your inventory/bag in the correct order (from left to right) or drag & drop them over the according slots with your left mouse button.
- Cooking any type of Soup requires 2 units of Liquid of any type, 4 x either Turnips or Lettuce and 3 other ingredients (either Turnips, Crisphead Lettuces, Horned Melons, any type of Mushrooms, Chizzard Eggs, Blizzard Chizzard Eggs or Questionable Jerky)
- Cooking any type of Bread requires 4 ears of Wheat and 1 unit of Liquid of any type
- Cooking any type of Sandwich requires 2 Breads of any kind (except Gingerbread Loaves), plus 3 x either Turnips or Lettuce and 3 more vegetables (either Turnips, Crisphead Lettuces, Horned Melons, any type of Mushrooms, Chizzard Eggs, Blizzard Chizzard Eggs or Questionable Jerky)
- Cooking any type of Pie requires 2 ears of Wheat, 1x either Chizzard Egg or Blizzard Chizzard Egg, 1 unit of Liquid of any type and 3 other ingredients (either Turnips, Crisphead Lettuces, Horned Melons, any type of Mushrooms, Chizzard Eggs, Blizzard Chizzard Eggs or Questionable Jerky)
Note: only Crisphead Lettuce or Turnips will fit into the slot for "Vegetables" (the second slot for Soups and Sandwiches) of the Cooking Station - and can also be used in the third/fourth slot as well. Horned Melons, Mushrooms and Questionable Jerky will only fit into the last slot and often (but not always) leads to special types of Food being created.
List of Food and their effects (7:30 min. for all Breads, 15 min. for everything else) Edit
Maximum Stamina is enhanced twice as much for players who own the Pro DLC as for free players.
Duration of effects Edit
- Bread (all types): 7min 30sec
- Sandwich (all types): 15min
- Soup (all types): 15min
- Pie (all types): 15min
Crops, Eggs and their effects Edit
|Turnip||+100 Max. Health||Can be found in Forests and Swamplands, can then be grown from Seeds|
|Crisphead Lettuce||+100 Max. Health||Can be found in Forests, Woodlands, Grassland and Tundras, can then be grown from Seeds|
|Horned Melon||+10/20 Max. Stamina||Can be found in Jungles only, can then be grown from Seeds|
|Wheat||cannot be consumed||Can be obtained by harvesting Tallgrass and Savannah Tallgrass|
|Chizzard Egg||+100 Max. Health||Also grants -50% Fall Damage. Can only be obtained as a Pet-harvest from Chizzards, Night Chizzards and Poultrygeists|
|Blizzard Chizzard Egg||+100 Max. Health||Also grants +50% Freeze Resistance. Can only be obtained as a Pet-harvest from Blizzard Chizzards|
You can consume many Food types and have all their bonuses or resistances active at the same time. Different foods even "stack" their bonuses if the bonuses are of the same type (for example: consuming one Turnip and one Crisphead Lettuce will grant your player character +200 Health points in summary).
Consuming the exact same type of food once more only prolongs the effect to its maximum timespan.
Where to get the ingredients Edit
- Wheat can be grown (with a Plow) from Wheat Seeds which can be occasionally obtained while harvesting Tallgrass or Savannah Tallgrass. You have to plant these seeds under fitting conditions (on tilled soil with water nearby) to receive Wheat.
- Turnips can be found growing by themselves in Forests or even more often in Swamplands. By putting them into the Processor, Turnip Seeds will be produced that can be planted under fitting conditions (on tilled soil with water nearby) to receive more Turnips.
- Crisphead Lettuce can be found growing by themselves in Forests or under trees in other Biomes. By putting them into the Processor, Lettuce Seeds will be produced that can be planted under fitting conditions (on tilled soil with water nearby) to receive more Lettuces.
- Horned Melons can be found growing by themselves in (dangerous) Jungles only, which makes them rare discoveries. By putting them into the Processor, Horned Melon Seeds will be produced that can be planted under fitting conditions (on tilled soil with water nearby) to receive more Melons.
- Chizzard Eggs can only be obtained from tamed Chizzards or Night Chizzards that spawn on Shores on Shorewood, in Jungles or more rarely in Canyons. You will only be able to harvest Eggs from them after they have become your Pets and you have fed them their preferred type of Food.
- Blizzard Chizzard Eggs can only be obtained from tamed Blizzard Chizzard. Blizzard Chizzards usually spawn during the day on Snow in Taigas, Tundras, on frozen Oceans or frozen plains. You will only be able to harvest Eggs from them after they have become your Pets and you have fed them their preferred type of Food.
- Questionable Jerky can be made in a Forge from either Chizzard Gizzard or Blizzard Chizzard Gizzard - these Gizzards can be obtained from any kind of Chizzard, either from their Loot Bags or by harvesting from them if they are your Pets.
- For Food, any type of Mushrooms can be used; Red Mushrooms that grow in patches of five units in Forests, Woodlands, Swamplands and Grassland; also Brown Mushroom that can be found embedded in Dirt directly under the top layer of most Biomes, especially at the entrance of Caves; and rare Glowing Mushrooms that can be found on the Stalactite layer embedded in rocks and can be mined with at least an Obsidian Mining Cell equipped (or an even better/stronger Power Cell)
- Ordinary Water can be scooped up from rivers, lakes or Oceans without any Power Cell, and like all liquids, it can be multiplied by letting it flow and only scooping up only the units of Water that form additionally while not touching the original source unit.
- Mineral Water can be found on the Stalactite layer or in oases in Canyons or made by purifying Corrupted Water. Mineral Water can be scooped up with a Diamond Mining Cell or better and can be multiplied by letting it flow in order to scoop up its extensions.
- Tar can be found on the Fossil layer or Stalactite layer underground, can be multiplied by letting it flow, and can be scooped up with an Iron Mining Cell or better.
- Bog Water can be found in Swamplands on the surface, can be multiplied by letting it flow, and can be scooped up with a Diamond Mining Cell or better (Lumite Mining Cell).
- Liquid Lava can be found on the Lava layer or can be made by throwing Fire Bombs at Hardened Lava blocks, can be multiplied by letting it flow, and can be scooped up with a Diamond Mining Cell or better (Lumite Mining Cell).
- Corrupted Water can be found on the Corruption layer or can be made by throwing Corrupt Bombs at ordinary blue Water, can be multiplied by letting it flow, and can be scooped up with Diamond Mining Cell or better (Lumite Mining Cell).