Barred Windows are flat building elements that look like windows consisting of grey iron bars within a stone frame, fitting to most crafted stone building blocks.
How to obtain
Barred Windows can be crafted in your Crafting Menu (to be opened with "q" as the default key), but only after the according crafting recipe has been unlocked.
Unlocking the crafting recipe
The crafting recipe for Barred Windows is unlocked by:
- crafting (or taking) Stone Windows, which in turn are unlocked after crafting Wood Windows
- creating Iron Rods by putting Iron Bars into a Processor. Iron Ore can be extracted from Nodes on the Stalactite layer or can be found in Iron Treasure Chests or Diamond Treasure Chest
- crafting Iron Bars (meaning grids/lattices) from Iron Bars, Iron Rods, Obsidian Rods and Globs of Goo
Crafting Barred Windows
To craft 2 Barred Windows at a time, you'll need:
- 4 Stone Slabs made of Stone, Limestone or Bedrock in a Processor
- 2 Globs of Goo, either crafted from Mold in the Crafting Menu or occasionally looted or pet-harvested from many Creatures
- 4 Iron Rods made of Iron Bars in a Processor
How to use Barred Windows
Barred Windows can be placed into the game-world for building purposes, for example into a wall or ceiling.
Since update R44 in June 2017 windows can be fully rotated by pressing and holding R and moving the mouse while holding the left mouse button. The chosen rotation angle can then be "locked" too by simply typing "r" while pointing the cursor at the rotated example, so that all items of the same stack will then face the same direction when being placed.
Just like all other windows they will auto-connect to adjacent windows placed right beside them with the same rotation, but not around corners and not with different types of windows.
Different from doors, windows cannot be wired, opened nor locked.
Since update R32 you won't need to equip any Power Cells to pick up windows that have been placed into the world. Of course you won't be able to take such items on claims of other players (or in worlds) where your permission level is set low.